Okay, so I knooooow all of my re-re-rewinds and pauses and speculating and analyzing ain’t gonna make a difference at this point – or ever. I mean, the writers write what the writers wanna write. And I don’t have their phone numbers, so pulling a Mommy Sung ain’t gonna happen. But I just. Can’t. Heeeeelp it!!! So here are my additions to the fantabulous Baby Daddy tally-up by whitecarrot. Call it: Exhibit B – The Case for Yoon Yoon-jae.
1. Episode 1: Shi-won introduces the 4 guys of her high school life as they get the slow-mo walk envied by us mere mortals. Tae-woong didn’t get no such intro, and Shi-won calls the guys her “everything” during her schooldays. Hmmm, Mr. Oppa not included in her “everything”?? As soon as Yoon-jae sits down, the first person he notices and talks to is Shi-won. Someone’s got a hyperawareness of the lady, eh? Yeah, he teases her about her preggers weight, but that kinda dynamic is nothing new between these two.
2. Episode 2: Yoon-jae notices Shi-won’s bra strap is showing and gently rearranges her shirt. He notices!!! Notice being the key, here! If she wasn’t his woman, he wouldn’t pay that kind of attention. And that little smirky smiley smirk?!? Aaack! ADORBS and SO shmexy. I do love me some possessive men. Caveman stuff can be haawwtt: I got no complaints with “Me Tarzan, You Jane = my woman”. Even after arranging her shirt, Yoon-jae just can’t take his eyes off Shi-won…
3. Episode 4: Tae-woong joins the crew for their reunion. The person he clasps hands with and greets is Yoon-jae; Shi-won merely waves her hand at him. Both brothers face Shi-won, but Tae-woong looks at her fondly, as he would a younger sister. His head rub, too, is more befitting a sister than a preggers wife. It’s indulgent. Yoon-jae, on the other hand, looks upon Shi-won with love and a kind of possessiveness.
4. Episode 7: Shi-won calls Tae-woong “Oppa-ya” and when ‘scolded’ by Yoo-jung, answers, “What, should I call him ‘Senator,’ then?” In Episode 6, she had called her hubby “Jagi-ya” (a term similar to “Honey”), and some people do go back and forth between “Jagi” and “Oppa” (especially if the hubby’s been an “Oppa” for so long). So it’s not impossible that Tae-woong is her hubby, but here Shi-won makes clear that the two options for Tae-woong’s title are either “Oppa” or “Senator.” Plus, Yoo-jung says, “But for someone who’s going to become the president, isn’t ‘Oppa’ kinda inappropriate?” No mention of “Jagi,” so “Jagi-ya” must be for Yooooon-jae!
5. Episode 7: This particular line by Sung-jae has become THE defining phrase by Korean media outlets for describing Answer Me 1997. Sung-jae notes how vastly different Tae-woong and Yoon-jae are: “How can two brothers be so different? Are they a water dispenser or something? His hyung is warm water, and this kid is ice cold water, the kind that makes your heart ice over.” But after seeing Shi-won roughhouse Yoon-jae for breaking her phone case: “So much for ice water. To Sung Shi-won, Yoon-jae’s just room temp water.” As I said before, a cold guy who’s helpless in the face of love – I love it! And to top it off, he visibly flinches each time Shi-won reaches her arm out near him. So much for Judge Iceman. Heee!
6. Episode 8: Tae-woong introduces everyone to his campaign aide. Yoon-jae humbly aw-shucks off the aide’s compliments/flattery and says, “Hyung-soo-nim would be hurt if she heard that.” The term “Hyung-soo-nim” is what a guy calls his older brother’s wife, and I just can’t see Yoon-jae using that term for Shi-won, in light of all we’ve been shown so far. Tae-woong introduces Shi-won as “The ___ that I love,” and that blank can be filled with “wife” or “woman.” But Korean tradition/custom/language almost entirely rules out that possibility. It’s almost unheard of for a man to introduce his wife as “___ that I love.” It just doesn’t work that way. That Tae-woong included the words “that I love” makes it almost certain that Shi-won is not his wife. That blank, instead, is probably filled by “dong-saeng” (younger sibling) or “jae-soo-shi” (younger brother’s wife). [For those of you confused, yes, it can get quite complicated knowing who to call what title. ^^]
7. Episode 9: Can anyone get enough of how sweetly possessive/protective Yoon-jae looks, watching Shi-won eat?!?! Tilting the bowl for her was just icing on the cake. No matter how close they were as children, Yoon-jae wouldn’t be able to do that for his Hyung-soo-nim. Nopity nope nope nope!
8. Episode 9: Sonogram! Joon-hee says the baby’s eyes clearly tell you who his/her Daddy is. The phrase he uses is used to describe people with long, slitted eyes. Aka Seo In-guk. Song Jong-ho has slightly up-tilted eyes as well, but nowhere near Seo In-guk’s. Plus, the crew had always marveled at Teacher Tae-woong’s good looks, never seeing the similarity between him and Yoon-jae. And the final nail in the coffin? When Yoon-jae was puppy-shopping, a person had noted, “I think this [he slants up his eyes] is the focal point.” Hahahahaa. I’m not gonna try to guess whose hand it is that picks up the sonogram, but Yoon-jae’s huge grin and smiley smiles were just ADORBS.
9. Episode 11: As already noted in the recaps, Shi-won orders an iced caramel mocha with LOTS of whipped cream, which is what Yoon-jae orders at the end of Episode 12. Tae-woong picks out the same drink from among four choices, but I feel like the writers are just pulling our leg on this one. Regardless, it’s too difficult to conclude anything off the rings and coffee based on the meager scraps of screen time we were given, and Shi-won is “comfortable” with both Tae-woong and Yoon-jae. Sooo, evidence from Episodes 11-12 may not stand up in court. But we all know in our hearts what’s going down here.
Yoon Yoon-jae, GIVE IT UP!!!
- Answer Me 1997: Thoughts on Episodes 11-12
- Answer Me 1997: Episode 12
- Answer Me 1997: Episode 11
- Answer Me 1997 Official OST Love Story
- Answer Me 1997 – Preview 13, 14
- Who is the Baby Daddy? Answer Me 1997
- Answer Me 1997 – Ep 10
- Answer Me 1997 – Ep 9
- Answer Me 1997 – Preview 11, 12
- Answer Me 1997 – Episode 7, 8
- Answer Me 1997 – Heart Attack
- Answer Me 1997 – Episode 5, 6
- Answer Me 1997 – Heart Palpitations